Monday 6 August 2012

To Bare or To Bear?

I was reading a book when I come across this sentence:

"... he tugged at the buttons and pushed away layers of cloth to bear her breast entirely."

Ahem. Don't ask.
I'm not going to say what book is this or which author.
I quite like her work so I'm not going to shame her here. 

This reminds me of the many times I came across these on the Internet:

"I cannot BARE it anymore!" 

"I'm going to BEAR my midriff"

"Please BARE with me for a moment."

It's one thing making mistake on cyberspace but publishing in a book is a more serious matter. 
But nevertheless let's look into this.
In my understanding, bare is like expose, while bear in this context is like endure. 

According to Merriam-Webster :

 to accept or allow oneself to be subjected to especially without giving way 
<couldn't bear the pain> <I can't bear seeing you cry> 

open to view : exposed 
<laying bare their secrets>

Hmm, I wonder how she got that one wrong? 
I have been giving a lot of thought about this, so do BARE with me for awhile. 
Bear! I mean BEAR. 

xx
LadyG
Grammar Nazi in-training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment