Thursday 20 September 2012

Bel Ami

Bel Ami based on Guy De Maupassant's The History of a Scoundrel is basically about a womanizing, social climber who uses woman for success, power and wealth. An untalented clerk trying to rise to great heights by sleeping with wives of influential men in Paris.


Sorry to say, I was disappointed with the film, Robert Pattinson does not live up to the image of George Duroy. He was supposed to be a Cassanova of sorts but I feel his performance lack luster. It's like, "I know I'm so hot, Uma Thurman, Christina Ricci and Kristin Scott Thomas will fall at my feet without me lifting a finger." So he just maintain the same cold stares and couldn't-care-less attitude, it wasn't seductive, it wasn't scandalous, it wasn't charming, it was just meh.




I love the three female leads, Uma Thurman is beautiful, Christina Ricci looked every bit like the mischievous madam out for some fun while Kristin Scott is the shy lover, although she got quite smittened with George Duroy. The costumes are beautiful, I especially love the structured dress-coat Madeline Forrestier wore.  The interior decor are lovely, I like Clotile and Goerge's love nest, the Forrestier's sitting room and bed room are very well decorated.


After Twilight, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are understandably trying to go into different types of movies. But I'm not sure if they are quite successful at that. When watching both Bel Ami and Snow White and the Huntsman, I can still see Edward and Bella in it, as if they haven't got out of that character just yet. 
It just prove it to me that Kristen and Robert are made for each other. The both of them literally have the same blank look on their faces throughout their performance. 

All the best to Rob on shrugging off the stiff-hair, sparkly vampire and start getting into character expected of him. He could do better, and I wish to see more of him on the big screen.
*Photo's from allmoviephoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment