Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Young Victoria

Victoria and Albert is THE cutest royal couple in England, other than Will and Kate of course. 

It's a fortunate thing Victoria never let the bullies coerce her into a regency, otherwise lord knows what will become of England should the plotting Sir John Conroy get his hands on the sovereign. 


" I am young, but I am willing to learn, and I mean to devote my life to the service of my country and my people. 
I look for your help in this. I know I shall not be disappointed. Thank you."

However things are not as easy for Victoria at the start, being young and inexperienced, teamed with advisors around her with malicious intends, Victoria needs to get her wits together or doomed to fail.



Prince Albert from Germany was encouraged to court her, for political motives at first. But both of them realize their feelings for each other, which lead to marriage. They went on to reign England for 20 years together. 

 "I'm going back to England. 

There must be a reason if you wish to visit Her Majesty. 

Then find me a reason." 



Albert died from typhoid fever at age 42. In memory of him, Victoria had his clothes laid out every day until her death at the age of 81. Victoria and Albert championed reforms in education, welfare and industry. They also supported arts and sciences that were celebrated in the Great Exhibition of 1851. Victoria remains the longest reigning British monarch to date.


"Good morning, wife"

The best conversation exchange between them, no doubt belongs to this: 

"Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will?"  

"Then you had better master the rules of the game until you play it 
better than they can." 

"You don't recommend I find a husband to play it for me?"

 "I should find one to play it with you, not for you."

The last thing Victoria needs is someone who thinks she could not run England, lucky for her, Albert isn't like the others. Victoria and Albert seems smittened with each other, how cute. The time Albert took an assassin's (that bastard Conroy!) bullet for her also shows how devoted he is to Victoria. 

Their proposal is rather romantic as well, since Victoria is the Queen of England, Albert could not propose to her "even if I wanted to" so he said to Baron Stockmar. 

"I'm sure you're aware why I wished you to come here. 
Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy 
really, if you would agree to what I wish."

"And stay with you?"

"And stay with me." 

"And marry you?"

 "And marry me!"


" I will not have my role usurped! I wear the crown! And if there are mistakes they will be my mistakes, and no one else will make them! "

A loving marriage aside, I have to say I LOVE all the costumes in it, I like the shape of the dresses, the shoulders and sleeves are so different. The film won Best Costume Design at the British Academy Film Awards. I have to say Emily Blunt did a marvelous job as Queen Victoria, I like her in Gulliver Travel as well. Rupert Friend looks better in period costumes than in real life, regretfully. 
 *Photo from allmoviephoto.com and some from Google Images


Great movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
 But I do wished I could understand the heavy British accent better. 

xx
LadyG

No comments:

Post a Comment